If you are new to the field of urban exploration, you have to make sure that you read up about the process, so that you are prepared to meet the worst. Of course, there are people who think that researching the area would take the fun out of things- and I do not disagree with that entirely. It’s good for you to leave some things out of your research, so you have fun discovering them on your own- but you have to make sure that you have researched the route, access to emergency services and such. Here are the top tips, from a beginner, to a beginner.
1. If you are driving up there, make sure there is enough petrol in your car. You do not want to get stuck in an abandoned area with nobody to tow your car out.
2. Take some food along. That way, you don’t have to take a break in the middle to go get lunch/dinner.
3. Always carry a flashlight- even if you are exploring in the day light. There are some parts in abandoned buildings that do not get any natural light, or you might end up staying in the area well past sunset.
4. Bring a friend along. It’s fun to share these adventures with a friend- at least right at the beginning.
5. Invest in a Tom-Tom. It will help you go far (quite literally, in this case).
6. Make sure your phone is fully charged.
7. Invest in a camera- do not waste your cell-phone battery on taking photos.
8. Don’t be afraid to do something totally whacky and out of the ordinary. After all, discovery is what urban exploration is all about!
9. Do not do anything illegal- it is not worth the pains you have to go through if you are caught doing something illegal while exploring.